Founded in 1909 by Angelina Giffen Cowan, Cowan's Dairy built and moved into the brick building on Park St north of Front St in 1929. Although no longer owned by the Cowan's their name is still associated with this building which houses "Cowan's Neighbourhood Store & Dairy Bar."
Cowan's were amongst the early adopters of the pasteurization process, and their business grew to the point that they were delivering as far as Gananoque and Westport. During the depression, Cowan's people were given free buttermilk, and credit was extended to those unable to pay for their milk.
The 1950s and 60s saw a great deal of change for Cowan's. First, they sold their ice cream division to Producer's dairy (later Sealtest) in 1957. Then they undertook a series of acquisitions, bringing dairies in Gananoque, Kemptville, Smiths Falls, Athens, and Perth under their control.
In 1977, Cowan's sold their dairy business to Sealtest.